Friday 11 December 2009

SDAC Christmas Caper 2009

Being the first time I’ve been in the UK at this time for many years, it was my first experience of the Caper and what an event...

The day started early given I didn’t want to miss out on my long run so at 05:30 I set of to run the 17-18miles from home to the start of the race.

The weather wasn’t good but initially no rain was seen so it was a case of shall or shall I not take the rain jacket but fortunately I opted to take it and what a choice to make... The first few miles were fairly easy but by the 4th the wind had picked up and the rain decided to pay me a visit with the next 13miles ran into a head wind and heavy rain..!! At times it seemed it was 1 step forward 2 back but after 2:20hrs I arrived at my destination looking like a windswept drowned rat..!!

After a quick shower and change it was off to the start and safety talk before heading to our allotted marshalling point... Fortunately and bearing in mind the weather the 1mile marker was definitely the ideal location / preferred choice due to the fact that after 15 minutes it was back to the start and a cuppa...

A turn out in excess of 450 runners made for a great atmosphere and enjoyable day with many runners wearing fancy dress but the sumo wrestlers / gorilla outfits stood out especially when they decided to sprint for the line...

So if you’re in the area next December look us up and come along..!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment