Monday 10 May 2010

Halstead Marathon 2010


After Brighton & London on consecutive weekends the 2wks before Halstead was a god send and greatly received…

The training in that period consisted of recovery runs and half marathon distance but the thought of a third in such a short period was daunting to say the least…

The day arrived and of I went for a 10am start… Weather was on our side but a strong wind and the odd spot of rain meant it could get messy during the run but I would have to wait and see…

A field of about 500 huddled together at the start in hesitation of the start and then we were off…

Almost immediately we were heading downhill but that was short lived as we turned a corner and headed up a long drawn out hill… Not knowing what to expect the normal race tactics applied and I remained in a bunch for the first 10miles…

The course on a whole was undulating with every up followed by a down but with a 2 loop course you knew what to expect 2nd time round with the majority of supporters based in and around the crossover where you would see them around 4times…

Miles were ticked off and by the standard mile 20 the legs we beginning to fight back but I managed to push on but by 21 I decided to back of with the a stop at the next water station to get some water rather than try to wear it whilst running…

For a change I thought I’d try some jelly beans but it must have taken a mile just to open them to a point where I actually stopped to rip the packet open…

Miles 22, 23, 24 passed but by 25 the pace was beginning to tell... Looking at the watch a 3:30 finish was on… The hill through the field proved too much and a walk to the top cost me a better time but a quick run down the last stretch of road and a turn into the home straight gave me sight of the clock and a possible sub 3:30 (according to the garmin) was definitely on the cards so after a quick burst of energy and a sight that resembled Usain Bolt I crossed the line stopping as I went to reveil a time of 03:29:59… I made it..!! nearly 5mins outside my PB but 2nd fastest time..!!!

I had done it… 3 marathons in 4 weeks a personal achievement that I am unlikely to repeat and with an average 3:38 I wasn’t complaining…!!

No. 5 complete..!!! Next stop Chester..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment