Friday 7 May 2010

Virgin London Marathon 2010...

Where should I start so soon after the last blog and the fact I’m was looking to run another 26.2miles within a week of pounding the streets of Brighton... Why I ask myself..?

Initial indications were for high temperatures and no cloud cover but fortunately the weathermen & ladies got it wrong...

On waking up I checked the report s to see that rain was on the way but times varied between channels... Fingers crossed it was between miles 22 & 26..!!

Thankfully, Greenwich is only 20miles away so there was no great rush to leave at the crack of dawn but after getting dropped off at the bottom of Blackheath Hill I made way to the red start...

Not sure why but I decided to wear the ‘Brighton Finisher’ t-shirt which attracted some attention with one marshal asking if I did indeed finish and when I replied YES it was a case of ‘wow, you must be mad.!’ I tend to agree...

With the Lucozade in hand I made my way to the Bandstand in the hope that I would meet with fellow ‘tweeters’ Karen, Katie & James...

Whilst waiting I received the call I wanted to hear and the fact that rain was on the way with a down pour in Central London..!!! Hooray..!!!

For the 2nd time in a week, I was joined by my fellow T2B runners but then it happens and the heavens opened and down comes the rain... Fortunately being a seasoned runner, I like to think so, the compulsory black bin liner jacket was put on!

After the a few visits to the main meeting point of any race i.e. the loos and a team photo I made my way to the allocated Pen No.4... Finishing time 3:30 – 4:00

After a few words of wisdom over the PA and some shuffling towards the start line, it was off and the start of 26.2miles around London...

The early miles were at a pace governed by those in front but hey there were 35,000 running... Into Woolwich and the joining of the 2 starts, a touch of friendly booing and a left turn by the Woolwich Ferry Terminal...

The miles went by but pace was down on Brighton but more to do with the crowds than the legs with Tower Bridge passing without incident, Mile 13 and a quick wave to the SDAC support team on the other side of the road... Last year’s event went terribly wrong around 15 but this year it was a case of tick that one off.!!! VLM isn’t known for its rolling countryside and the scenery around Canary Wharf allowed the mind to wander and start to focus on the fact the legs were starting to feel like dead weights... 18, 19 & 20 reached and then it was time to back off and enjoy the run in to the Embankment and Westminster..!!

Mile 22 and another wave to the SDAC members before the Tower of London and the start of the long straight run along the Thames... Slowing down at each of the water stations the target time was still on when Big Ben beckoned and the right turn towards St James and mile 26...

A quick wave to the queen and a turn towards the finish... (Did they move it further back this year?)

Finally, with hands in the air I crossed the line in 3:44:28...!!!!

After collecting my bag and a quick chat with the SDAC baggage crew on lorry 10 it was off to meet the family...

2 marathons isn’t the greatest way to spend your weekends but it was a challenge I managed to complete so with a grin on my face it was time to rest up before Halstead on the 9th May...

No.4 done ... Roll on No.5..!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Simon, I always admire your shear hard work and determination on the early morning runs, and now it all pays off. A heart felt congratulations on hitting your goals so far, and good luck on Sunday! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Simon... and a really strong time too - much kudos sir!

    ReplyDelete