Monday 6 September 2010

Kent Coastal Marathon 5th Sept 2010


After a proposed summer of rest this was to be a good marathon with me feeling fresh and fit… How wrong can you be in life???

For those who haven’t read previous blogs or been in touch will know that for the last 6wks I’ve been trying to get rid of a injury that’s slowed my training to a few short sessions a week compared to the 40-50miles a week…

Don’t get me wrong I'm not complaining but during my rest period… Where did that come from..?

Either way I was going to run because a challenge is exactly that plus I’m so near the end now… This was to be No.7 of 10..!!

The Race

As usual I got there early and collected my race number and then spent the next 2hrs wandering around aimlessly waiting for the gun to go off.

Given the event was a half and full marathon, a few of my club there so it was an ideal opportunity to catch up and most importantly predict the outcome of our individual races... The marathon man of our club was in attendance and would be joining me at the start plus with nearly 40 under his belt my paltry 17 made me look a newcomer or his apprentice…

The first half of the course was deemed to be undulating with the second relatively flat with the latter starting at the finishing point for the half which always prove a test for the mind seeing the finishing line knowing you’ve another 13miles to go..!!!

After a delayed start the race finally got underway 15minutes late and by that stage the sun had already started to shine with a slight breeze coming off the sea.

The early miles were congested along the coastal footpaths but runners soon got thinned out as we began to reach the first few climbs as we headed towards Joss Bay, Broadstairs and the outskirts of Ramsgate…

It may have been September but it was hot with very little shelter from the sun. The scenery was pleasant so the time ticked by quite quickly and before you knew it you were heading back along the same route to complete the first half with supporters shouting ‘only a mile to go’ not knowing that some had opted for the full marathon and had another 13miles to go…

Into Cliftonville and with the finishing funnel in sight we headed straight pass for the second half of the race..!!! Why I asked myself as the legs had already started to fight back..!!!!

Miles 13 to 26 were run along the promenade / sea wall out towards West Cliffe taking in the delights of an abundance of seaweed and beach chalets with the odd person enjoying the sun even to the point where some were swimming in the sea… And there’s me thinking I was mad..!!!

By mile 17 the lack of training started to take its toll and the legs begun to feel like lead weights… I passed the 20mile mark over 10mins down on my preferred pace knowing that fitness was a keen facotr but I wasn’t going to let it get the better of me..!!!

Several runners breezed passed in the latter stages willing me on but the legs were definitely restricting the speed at that stage…

Back into Margate and the 25mile marker meant a short climb and the home straight so that was it… No.8 of the year complete and perhaps the hardest yet…!!!

My finishing time of 03:51:15 was slower than most but bearing in mind the events of the last 6 weeks is one that I am happy with…

My goal over the coming weeks is to get fit and complete the remaining marathons of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment