Tuesday 10 August 2010

Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 Trail Marathon - August 2010

Despite assuring everyone that I would rest up during the summer months, I felt I needed a decent training run and bearing in mind the length of time I have spent this year running the various routes close to home a race was needed…

To give me mileage, the only choice was a marathon so after checking out the various race calendars I chose Salisbury given the area and the fact it was off road…

Preparation was good but after a typical run leading up to the event I could barely walk..!!!

With the cause unknown I limped along for the next few days and by the Friday decided that was it I’d have to call it off… Despite this and not being one to give up easily I decided to ‘try’ out a few miles on the Saturday to ‘see’ how the leg felt…

The first few steps made me feel like puking but gradually the pain eased and it began to feel more like a stiff muscle rather than anything too serious… 3 miles were covered and if anything I felt the run helped so I decided the 26 miles would be attempted in Salisbury …

The 2hr drive to Salisbury was a bit uncomfortable but once out of the car the leg eased so that was it, I would be lining up at the start..!

Some would say I am mad running the number of marathons I do but the event was full of ‘mad’ runners who have completed 100’s so I’m a ‘newbie’ to them…

The course itself was undulating with the first few miles taking in a route around the Old Sarum and then it was off into the wilderness some would say…

Farmers fields formed part of the route with running replaced with hop, skip and a jump to dodge many a cow pat and the following a piece of string through the mystical forest making the run a very enjoyable day…

The route was well sign posted so the need to refer to the issued description notes proved never…

A few long hills were placed along the route but with all ‘up’ hills there is always a down section but this is where I suffered and the leg started to fight back… The water stations were well stocked with runners / hikers assessing the race so far or warning others of that killer hill just around the corner…

The last few miles were through villages and Salisbury town centre which for some allowed them to recover before the sprint to the finish… For me though, I had decided to prevent any further damage to the leg so opted for the walk / run technique given I like to finish a marathon and not die trying…

After a long day in the trainers, I crossed the line in 4:16:31 a personal achievement given the problems over the last week but more importantly a PB in trail marathons... It is a time I know I can improve on so I will be back next year to make amends and perhaps take 10mins off that time.. PS That’s not a challenge.!!

Now it’s time to rest up before the Kent Coastal in September…

No comments:

Post a Comment