Friday 18 December 2009

Bedford Half Marathon 13-12-2009


The day started like any other with the sound of the alarm and quick thought why o why it’s still dark out but then thoughts turned to the fact that it was race day... By that I mean a race that involves me and my goal time...

The race wasn’t until 10:00am but with a 2hr drive I set off early... Well 5:30am to be precise..!!!

Arriving at the car park and realising I was the first there, before any marshals, I knew for sure that I was going to make the start...

I ran this race 2yrs ago and with its faultless organisation and undulating course knew I would be back to take up the challenge and hopefully beat my previous time... Bearing in mind the weather conditions in 2007 i.e. hail stones and icy rain a 1:32:06 was a great result but could I improve..?

The day was dry but with yet again an icy wind it was no time for layers but instead vest & shorts and the legendry black bag to use as a jacket before the gun..!!!

Being more of a distance runner the first miles are always hard, pace was good and I managed to resist the challenge of trying to keep up with those in front but rather concentrate on my own pace... Mile 6 saw a stitch forming but by mile 7 it had gone and now it was time to get into my own and start to increase the pace to a point where I was beginning to make ground on those in front of me... A downhill section at 9 gave me the rest the legs needed and then it was time to head for home...

Miles 10, 11 & 12 where ran in a pack of 5 with each runner taking turns to maintain pace and pull the others along until the mile 13 marker was seen and it was a case of breaking for the line...!

Gun time was 1:31:25 with chip being confirmed as 1:31:12, an improvement on 2007, and a season best... After a few messages of congratulations between my fellow runners and check of the Garmin a negative split was confirmed...

With a fellow club runner coming in at 1:38:30, a personal best, both left happy knowing we would be back in 2010 and pleased with the day’s performance...

1 comment:

  1. Great run! Those negative splits are hard. Good job. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete