Saturday 2 January 2010

2009 Comes to an End after a Disappointing Start ..!!!!

After a dodgy start to the year I started to run confidently with the ability to add miles to my previous averages with a tally for the year in excess of 2000miles...

Typically my race calendar would concentrate on half marathons but a decision was made early on to opt for marathons and trail runs... Why I do not know but it seemed a good idea at the time!

With London the first marathon of the year and one that I had tried to get in since taking up running in 2005 I felt confident and wanted to go sub 3:30... With a PB of 3:37 and the right type of preparation it should have been achievable but how wrong can you be...

Leading up to the event in April, I signed up for 2no. 20milers as training runs and went for it..!!!

The first was the Thanet 20 which I completed in 2:32 and the second the Oakley 20 which I crossed the line in 2:36 so it was definitely looking a possibility...

So the big day arrived and with the sun shining I set off... 4hrs & 8mins later I crossed the line annoyed with myself and in agony..!!! It’s a race I want to forget and without going into too much detail I pulled up between mile 15 / 16 due to a re-occurring back problem which left me walking the majority of the remaining 10miles... I know we can’t win them all but I’d waited so long to get the opportunity and fell at the first hurdle.

After a slow 6 / 8 weeks following London I decided to take up more marathon challenges, rightly or wrongly, and entered a further 3 in the following months... A couple of trail marathons and a tough 30km Cross Country were to follow during the summer with a final road marathon in October where a time of 3:38 only 30secs behind the PB made up in some way for London...

I finished the year with couple of 1:31 half marathons but my sights were set by this stage on the 2010 Challenge and 10 marathons with an obvious option to do more...

Races are the result of consistent training through the year and this has been hard and sometimes difficult but worth every mile given the buzz I get from crossing any finish line...!!!

I often wonder why I put myself through hours of pavement pounding and why I run marathons (especially in the last 6miles) but those doubts soon disappear once the watch is stopped and you know you have achieved your goal...

The stats for 2009 were;
• A total of 2046 miles covered
• 4 marathons
• 2 20mile
• 1 30km XC
• 4 Half marathons
• 1 10km

The goals for 2010 are;
• 2100 miles to be covered
• 10 marathons
• Sub 3:30 (a bonus)

Keep on running..!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great going indeed. I think 2,000 miles is very hard, but then I am 52 and only started running 3 years ago, so maybe you find it easy.

    Marathons are not my thing at all, but I do admire your goal for this year and wish you the very best of luck with your goal.

    We may get to run together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great year! I am in awe of your 2010 goal! I can't wait to hear all the updates throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your goals! 10 marathons this year will be a great and fun challenge - no doubt you'll achieve it. Like you, I really love the feeling of crossing the finish line. It has a way of erasing doubt. Enjoy your training and have fun :)

    ReplyDelete