Friday 19 March 2010

The Duchy Marathon

Being some 320 miles away it was an early start on the Saturday to ensure some sort of rest before the big day... I decided very early on that I'd make a long weekend of this one and booked a couple of nights at a local hotel... NB For those who have never been to the Southwest of England, its well worth a visit...

I collected my number on the Saturday plus checked out the entry list numbers, with approximately 200 runners it was a relatively small event but a local Grand Prix so the field was likely to be a strong one...! A 20 mile race was also to take place at the same time but obviously on a slightly different route...

The route consisted of two laps and with the race billed as relatively flat was expecting to just sit back and enjoy the view...!

A rather restless night but that was probably more to do with the surroundings rather than pre-race nerves...

Race day arrived and the standard preparation followed.. Off to the start but driving along the first thing that came to mind was the wind...

On arriving at the designated parking and on leaving the car I found it was bl@#dy freezing and to me, blowing a gale...

Nevertheless and following a decision to wear 2tops, hat & gloves (something taht I never do on race day) I lined up at the start...

As the start time got closer the huddle got closer but more for warmth I feel rather than in anticipation of the gun and then we were off..!

The early miles were in sheltered lanes and along the northern coast which on a whole were OK but then down to a left hairpin turn and bang someone had built a wall made of 'WIND' and did that change things...

Despite this, the miles ticked by but by mile 13 and the end of the first lap I could have gone home... I was shattered and felt like I'd been in a wind tunnel...!

Knowing what to expect half way round the 2nd lap made it harder but I was not done yet... Again I pressed on but this time after the hairpin the wind literally stopped me in my tracks...! We were now at 20miles with 6 remaining and what a slog it was going to be..

I'm sure it was pushing me backwards but more a case of I was actually slowing down..!!! The hill at 22 was long but once at the top a sigh of relief and I headed home...

After 3hrs 38mins, I crossed the line and I couldn't have been happier as that was 'HARD'

A cornish pastie was on offer by the organisers but a sitdown and a drink was preferred so the girls tucked in..!!!

I don't mind admitting I found that tough but I was looking to complete in 3:45 when in fact I came home sooner..! A quick pace at the start and a wind wall took it's toll but its 2 down and 8 to go..!!!

Thanks Duchy, it was an experience but it's another one in the bag...

2 comments:

  1. I hate windy runs! Good job on the marathon and awesome time, you're super fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great time Simon - really well done - nice blog.

    ReplyDelete