Tuesday 20 April 2010

Brighton Marathon 18th April 2010

The next 6 weeks are either going to break me or make me..!!!

Since ‘The Duchy’ in March I’ve continued to put in the mileage but more from a point of building strength / stamina than speed given the forthcoming challenge of 4 marathons in just over 6wks and a preference to finish rather not finish...

A few years ago I managed to complete Halstead and Edinburgh in a 2week period and that was tough but this year it’s a completely different ball game..!!!

On race day and after a typical taper, we set off from home and headed for the Sussex coast and Brighton... The morning had started out chilly but the forecast was for clear skies and a bit of sunshine so no need for the woolly hat and gloves this time...

Like the majority of us I never read the map to any great detail so after being dropped off in the town centre I headed for the start but using typical male navigational skills and following the person in front… Some may say ‘how did you know he was going to the same place’ but another good skill is to look for clues and with the trainers and a Brighton Marathon kit bag I knew I was following the right person…

After a 15min walk, I entered the park and then it starts to really sink in and the fact there were 26.2miles between me and going home so best get prepared… Where’s the loo..?

After eventually finding Michelle and Lisa and following a few team photo’s good luck wishes were passed around and it was off to the pens / corrals… I’d been allocated a RED start indicating a finish time of 2:45-3:45 but this was based on the fact I’d entered the race before the kind people at SDAC gave me a slot at London so some might say a bit optimistic given the current circumstances…

Despite a start time of 9am, we eventually got away 15mins late but at least we were off..!!!

The early miles were around the town centre until heading out towards Rottingdean on out and back route… At miles 7, 9 & 11 my own little support crowd bellowed my name and shouted ‘Come on Dad...!’

Miles 13 to 14 seemed to pass effortlessly but then the thought of yet another out and back route up the same road around miles 16 to 17 begun to play with my mind telling me this is getting boring now with the only highlight of this area being a banner prepared by James..!!!

Trying to distract myself by watching the other runners I managed to maintain pace to the 20mile were I will typically do 1 of 2 things either push on or back off and today was the latter…

The course in this area was very plain but I was enjoying the slower pace and the chance to stop for a drink rather than trying to throw it into my mouth…

Miles 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25 passed as I picked out buildings or lampposts to run between but then the 800m sign came into view followed by Mile 26… I was nearly home so a quick swig of water and I was off…

Crossing the line in 3:42:13..!!! Marathon #3 of 2010 complete and my 13th in total..!!!

Time wise this wasn’t my fastest but then again I’ve broken the sub 3:30 this year so the remainder are all about getting round at a pace that I feel comfortable with and one I know I can maintain..!!!

The crowd support / atmosphere was up there with the likes of London so THANK YOU to everyone who lined the route.

Next stop London in less than a week..!!!! Help..!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Simon - sounds like a really well measured race as you predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely done, sir! looking forward to following this year's adventure!

    ReplyDelete